This simple Filipino recipe for pork belly skewers is perfect for beach parties and summer barbecues. It has a few unusual ingredients, including lemonade, but the results are delicious.
• 1 kg pork belly
• 250 ml (1 cup) soy sauce
• 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 60 ml (¼ cup) Calamansi juice or lemon juice
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
• 60 ml (¼ cup) brown or white sugar
• 125 ml (½ cup) banana or tomato ketchup
• 125 ml (½ cup) lemonade or beer (optional)
• 20 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
Cut the pork into long thin slices, about 5 mm thick and 5 cm wide.
In a large bowl, combine the pork, soy sauce, garlic, onion, Calamansi juice, pepper, sugar, banana ketchup and the lemonade or beer (this tenderises and adds flavour to the pork). Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
Thread the pork strips onto the soaked bamboo skewers, reserving the marinade.
Cook the skewers over live charcoals, turning and basting with the reserved marinade every few minutes for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.