This sauce is the highlight of one Peter’s most popular signature dishes. A unique flavour that will make any meal stand out. Ideal to baste any roast meat after cooking. Also works well over chicken lamb or beef kebabs. Great drizzled over any BBQ’d or grilled fish.
Grilled tuna with Black Pepper Caramel
Prep time: 8 mins
Cooking time: 6 mins
4 x 180 G tuna steaks
100ml veg oil
Peter Kuruvita Black Pepper Caramel
8 vine ripened baby tomatoes
Mixed salad of you choice
- Lightly brush both sides of each tuna steak with the oil.
- Place steaks on the middle of the grill, and cook for two to three minutes or until white cooking line is 1/3 into fillet.
- Brush a little oil on the upper side of each steak and flip over.
- Rub oil on tomatoes, season and evenly colour and warm on grill
- Brush Black Pepper Caramel sauce across the seared upper side. Let steaks cook for two minutes.
- Remove steaks from grill, garnish with a wedge of lime & baby tomatoes. Drizzle Black Pepper Caramel dressing and serve
Seared Yellow Fin tuna with sweet pork crackling, ruby red grapefruit and Black Pepper Caramel
1 loin tuna 400g
Peter Kuruvita 100g Chilli Salt
2 ruby red grapefruit segmented
200g piece of pork belly with skin on
Shiso leaf to garnish
- Steam pork belly for 30 minutes. Whilst the belly is still hot lightly score the skin, then rub salt into the score marks.
- Place the belly on foil, folding the sides up to the skin to make a boat and leaving the skin uncovered. Place into a deep tray; add water until the belly is half submerged
- Roast for 30min at 240 degrees or until the skin is crisp and crackling.
- Once cooked, cut the crackling away from the belly and scrap off any remaining fat. Cut into strips and set aside
- Slice the belly into 1cm slices and keep warm until ready to use
- Coat the tuna loin in Chilli Salt and sear evenly all the around in a hot pan with oil
- Leave to cool then slice into 1cm thick Pieces
- Assemble the dish with layers of pork belly, grapefruit and tuna in a stack.
- Drizzle with Black Pepper Caramel.
- Garnish with crackling on top & Shiso leafs