Deep pink in colour and retaining that unique beetroot flavour, this curry makes a stunning addition to a selection of curries.
There is an urban myth that says that beetroot leaves are poisonous, well I have been making beetroot curry for years and I always incorporate the stems and leaves.
• 350 g (12 oz) small beetroots, washed & trimmed
• 50 ml coconut oil
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 small green chillies, finely chopped
• 3 cm piece pandanus leaf
• 1 sprig curry leaves, leaves picked
• 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder
• 3 teaspoons white vinegar
• 1 teaspoon caster sugar
• 200 ml (7 fl oz) coconut milk
• Pandanus leaves are available from select Asian food shops.
• Curry leaves are available from select greengrocers and Asian food shops.