One of Peter’s signature restaurant sauces inspired by the flavours of Sri Lanka. Perfect served over crab, prawns and lobster. Great when used as a stir-fry sauce, with your favourite ingredients.
Grilled Prawns with Black Pepper and Curry Leaf Sauce
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
50 ml Vegetable oil
Curry leaves (optional)
½ bottle of Peter Kuruvita black pepper and curry leaf sauce
10-12 Large green king Prawns
Rice (to serve)
1 Ruby Red Grapefruit
1 med Spanish onion, finely sliced
Freshly grated coconut – Reconstituted Dessicated coconut can be used
2 long Red chillies, seeds removed and julienned
1 sprig Curry leaves (optional)
- Shell, devein and wash the prawns. Remove the small spike between the two tail fins. Set to one side.
- Make the garnish (see below)
- Season the prawns with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Once the oil reaches smoking point, add the prawns one by one.
- Fry for 3-5 mins until prawns are just-cooked in the centre, making sure the oil remains hot enough to avoid “boiling” the prawns in the oil.
- Remove prawns from the pan and place into a bowl.
- Gently warm Black Pepper and Curry Leaf sauce in a pan
- Simply toss prawns in the warm sauce and serve in a bowl with steamed rice and the garnish on the side.
To make the garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan. Once hot, add the red onion and fry until browned and crisp. Fry Curry leaves until crisp. Remove from heat, drain and leave to cool.
- Cut out segments of the ruby red grapefruit.
- Mix the coconut, onion, curry leaves, grapefruit & chilli together.