Black Pepper Beef
“This recipe was one of my Father’s all time favourite’s. Simple, quick and tasty, it goes down perfectly with a glass of Arrack or a cold beer.”
250 g beef fillet or trimmed sirloin
50 g black peppercorns, coarsely ground
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 red onion, thinly sliced
100 mL vegetable oil
100 mL white vinegar
2 small green chillies, thinly sliced
1. Slice the beef very thinly against the grain and coat each side with the ground pepper.
2. Layer the beef slices in a shallow non-metallic bowl, scatter with the onion and sprinkle with ½ a teaspoon of salt. Pour the vinegar over and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over high heat until it is just smoking.
4. Cook the beef slices on each side for 15 seconds, then add the onions and the marinade and cook for another 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
5. Add the chilli, combine well and serve.